Intra-state E-way bill has been rolled out across the country starting with Karnataka that implemented it on 1st April, 2018. E-way bill or Electronic Way bill (EWB) is required to be generated for intra-state transportation of goods worth more than Rs. 50,000 barring some exceptions wherein it must be generated even for goods valued at less than Rs.50,000. Under the GST regime a common portal has been created for the generation of an E-way bill number which is assigned to the Seller, the Recipient, and the Transporter. The E-way bill for intra-state transportation will reduce the time taken for paper work and will also prevent tax evasions. The E-way bill is a first towards the GST council’s plan to roll out a single bill across all states. The national E-way bill is a commendable move in the interest of both the government and the traders; the corporates need to quickly adopt it into their ecosystem.
As per the intra-state E-way bill rules, it is applicable to transport companies, individual goods carriers and businessmen who frequently carry goods from one point to another. E-way bills will ease and fasten the transport of goods by eliminating multiple visits by the transporters to different tax offices or checkpoints for permits. E-way bill is provisioned to take away the challenges from the logistics industry and help them move towards a digital future!
How can you generate intra-state E-way bills?
Though it may seem like a daunting task, generating an e-way bill for intra-state transportation is a fairly easy process and there are various means to achieve it. It should also be noted that any business/individual registered under GST has to register again with the national e-way bill portal using their GSTIN; the same registration is not sufficient for GST filing and E-way bill generation purposes.
Following are the various ways to generate an E-way bill for intra-state movement of goods:
- Via web
- Via SMS
- Via Android app
- Via bulk generation facility
- By Site-to-site integration with the NIC E-way bill portal
- Through a GSP (Goods and Services Tax Suvidha Provider)
Requirements for generation of E-way bill
- Registration on the EWB portal
- The Invoice/ Bill/ Challan related to the consignment of goods
- If by road transport – Transporter Id or the vehicle number.
- If by rail, air or ship – Transporter Id, transport document number and date
Step 1: – Login to E-way bill portal at https://ewaybillgst.gov.in/login.aspx
Step 2: – Enter your username, password and captcha code, click on ‘Login’
Step 3: – Click on ‘Generate new’ under ‘E-way bill’ under the header option
Step 4: – Enter the following fields on the screen:
- Transaction Type:
- Click on ‘Outward’ if you are a supplier.
- Click on ‘Inward’ if you are a recipient.
- Sub-type: Select the relevant sub-type applicable to you:
If transaction type selected is Outward, following sub-types appear:
- Job work
- SKD/CKD (for damaged goods)
- Recipient not known
- For own use
- Exhibition or fares
- Line Sales
If transaction type selected is Inward, following sub-types appear:
- Job work
- SKD/CKD (For damaged goods)
- Sales returns
- For own use
- Exhibition or fares
Step 5: – Document Date: Select the date of Invoice or challan
- From/ To: depending on whether you are a supplier or a recipient, enter the to / From section details.
- Transportation details: Mention the type of transport – whether by road/ rail/ ship/ air and the approx. distance in KMs.
- Provide: – Transporter name, transporter ID, transporter Doc. No. & date or vehicle number
Step 6: Click on ‘Submit’.
The system validates the data entered and shows up error, if any. Otherwise, your request is processed and you can successfully generate E-way bill in Form EWB-01 form with a unique 12-digit number.
Generate E-way bill and stay compliant
Generating E-way bills is compulsory, and non-compliance may lead to severe penalties. E-way bills need to be generated with utmost accuracy since the details once submitted cannot be edited later; the only option in case of mistakes is to cancel the E-way bill (within 24 hours) and generate a new one. In case you have more questions regarding E-way bills, you can go through our E-way bill FAQs or write to us. Vayana GSP is one of the first GST Suvidha Providers (GSP) in the country that delivers seamless access to the NIC portal for easy E-way bill compliance. Here is why you should opt for Vayana GSP for your E-way bill generation and compliance requirements.