Most of us have been hearing a lot about GST and the need for businesses to register under GST ever since it came into effect. But a lot of SME owners are still in a fix as to how to register on the GST Network. This article will guide you through the prerequisites and the entire process of GST registration online.
Before everything else, who should register for GST?
Not all individuals and businesses are required to be registered under GST. There are certain rules and guidelines laid down by the GSTN pertaining to online GST registration in India. The following should register for GST in order to carry out business in India and avail of the benefits that come with it:
- Any individual registered under the pre-GST (VAT, Excise, Service Tax, etc.)
- Casual taxable person / non-resident taxable person.
- Agents of suppliers and Input service distributor.
- Non-resident taxable person.
- Input Service Distributor.
- Individuals paying tax under reverse tax mechanism.
- E-commerce aggregator and suppliers supplying goods or services (not if total sales are less than Rs. 20 lakh).
- Inter-state suppliers.
- Individuals/companies that have an annual turnover of over 20 Lakhs (10 Lakhs for J&K, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and North-eastern states of India).
- Person supplying online information, database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered taxable person.
Documents required for new GST registration online:
In order to complete the online GST registration in India, the following set of documents should be kept handy:
- Identity, address proof & photographs of Proprietor / Directors / Partners / Karta / other authorised persons
- Bank account statement or cancelled cheque of the applicant
- PAN of the applicant
- Proof of place of business – Rent / Lease / Sub-lease Agreement / Consent Letter by the owner & No Objection Letter from the owner (in case of other than owned premises as place of business)
- Certificate of the Constitution of the tax payer – especially corporate entities
- In case of corporate entity / non-individual entity, authorisation letter or resolution empowering the authorised person to make registration
- In case of corporate entities, at least Class II DSC of the authorised signatory
How to register for gst online – A step-by-step approach:
1. Log on to the GST portal and click on Register Now under Taxpayers (Normal/TDS/TCS).
- In the page that follows, enter the following details
a. Select New Registration.
b. Under the dropdown I am, select Taxpayer.
c. Fill in the other fields that ask for state, district, legal name of the business, PAN, e-mail ID, and mobile number.
d. Click on Proceed.
- You will receive an OTP on the e-mail ID and mobile number you just provided. Provide the OTP on the next screen for verification.
- You will receive a TRN (Temporary Reference Number) via mail and SMS messages. Make a note of the TRN and keep it handy.
- Next, go back to the GST portal registration page and click on Temporary Reference Number (TRN) this time. Type in the TRN received and key in the captcha code before clicking on Proceed.
- Complete the OTP verification once again as in step 3.
- Next, status of the application will be shown as drafts. Click on the edit icon in Action.
- Part B will require you to fill in the details and necessary documents (mentioned earlier).
- Go to the Verification page after filling in all the details. Tick the declaration and submit your application. This can be done in three ways:
- By submitting DSC (mandatory for organizations).
- Via OTP to the Aadhaar-registered number – e-sign.
- Via OTP sent to the registered mobile number – EVC.
- Submit the form and a success message will be displayed at the end. You will receive an Application Reference Number on your registered e-mail ID and mobile number.
- You will receive the GSTIN certificate within 8-10 working days of submitting the application.
The process of online GST registration is facilitated by a number of Government-authorized GSPs (GST Suvidha Providers) all across the country that serve the purpose of making the process of GST registration and filing easy for both individuals and SMEs. Vayana GSP helps with easy, secure, and end-to-end GST compliance. Read this to know more about GST Suvidha Providers and how they help your business with regards to its GST needs.