What is an ASP?
ASP stands for Application Service Provider. ASPs are technology solution providers providing the technology, User interface and features which primarily take taxpayers’ raw data on sales and purchases and convert them into GST returns. These GST returns, or GSTRs, are then filed on behalf of the taxpayer with GSTN via the GSP (Pass through API service of GSPs).
ASPs act as a link between the taxpayers and the GSPs and can be considered as a sub-license generation because the GSPs act as a conduit between the GSTN portal and the ASPs. For example, in the case of e-invoicing, a GSP will be the link connecting an ASP solution with the IRP/NIC for generation of IRN/E-Invoice.
What is a GSP?
GSP stands for GST Suvidha Provider. GSP interacts with the GSTN system and provides the services of registration, uploading invoice details and filing GST Returns. This is accomplished through a portal or through an API (which is integrated into the ASP Application of the Taxpayer). Vayana is a GSTN authorised GSP since 2017 and is the largest GSP based on the API throughputs to the GSTN from all these years of it going live
In terms of the e-invoicing solutions, a GSP is required to provide access to the IRP/NIC portal for E-invoice generation and compliance through simple pass through APIs.
When it comes to choosing the best e-invoicing solution provider, there are certain things that make a difference in the quality of service.
- Choose a GSTN approved GSP
- It is recommended to choose a GSTN approved GSP as your e-invoicing service provider as they have the knowledge and expertise to comply with all GST requirements. Vayana has been a GSTN approved GSP since 2017 and we have been creating the APIs for GST as a core service since then. This gives us the unique advantage of being the best in the industry.
- Reading non-standardised invoice fox`rmats
- One of the reasons for implementing e-invoicing was that there is no uniform invoice format used/generated by various accounting systems, ERPs, or manual invoices. This makes it difficult for ASP/GSP systems to read the formats automatically, leading to an additional manual input. However, being in the supply chain business, Vayana’s systems have the capability of reading over 800 invoice formats including .pdf and .xml schema.
- Downtime errors
- Due to the scale of the GSTN, many service providers face downtime issues. Their systems are unable to handle the high volumes and peak times. But with Vayana autoscaling and auto failover architecture, be assured of zero unscheduled downtime. With Vayana, be the first ones to receive updates on the latest API releases by GST (within 30 minutes of release, unlike other service providers who take upto 3 days to release updates)
Vayana’s e-invoicing service offerings
Vayana offers the following E-Invoicing solutions based on your needs:
SAP Certified GSP
Vayana is the largest SAP certified GSP. More than 75% of SAP DCS & SAP CPI (for GST, e-way bill & e-invoicing) Corporates use us as their preferred GSP.
Our GST solutions integrate seamlessly with SAP solutions. We provide pass through API service where SAP is the ASP. In this case, the document compliance, business monitoring, and real-time generation of the IRN happens in the SAP ECC or S/4HANA system. Digitally signed invoice and QR code are generated, and the seller can access the ANX-1 to view the invoice liability details. The authentication and validation of data is done at the SAP CPI level. Vayana acts as the conduit between SAP systems and the GSTN portal/IRP. Vayana enables real-time secure transmission to Invoice Registration Portal (IRP). The IRP then generates the hash, validates the hash that it might have received through API from the seller’s system, validates the data for duplicates, and adds QR code (after digital signature). This data is further sent to the GSTN system for return filing and/or e-way bill generation.
API Services for ASPs
As the largest GSP, Vayana provides pass-through API services to ASPs (ERP/accounting system providers, custom application builders etc). This service is similar to the service offering to SAP, however, here SAP is replaced by client’s ASP.
ASPs/Clients have to follow the following steps for GSTN portal integration through Vayana:
- ASP to authenticate client credentials with GSTN / NIC’s Eway Bill system / Invoice Registration Portal
- ASP to encrypt data according to API specifications laid down by GSTN / NIC’s Eway Bill system / Invoice Registration Portal
- ASP to transmit data via VayanaGSP’s passthrough APIs to GSTN / NIC’s Eway Bill system / Invoice Registration Portal
- VayanaGSP transmits the response from GSTN / NIC’s Eway Bill system / Invoice Registration Portal to the ASP over RESTful APIs
- ASP to decrypt the response to get the actual data
In the case of Pass through services, ASPs have to manage the data encryption, decryption, authentication and taxpayer’s session management on their own. Due to the GSTN limitation, there may be certain data limits that can be processed at a time, but there are no such restrictions in the case of enriched API services.
Pass through API service provides all APIs that are available from GSTN / NIC Eway Bill system / Invoice Registration Portal, with VayanaGSP ensuring realtime concurrency to any API changes. Due to error handling issues and poor error documentation, this service can be a hassle for smaller ASPs. However, in enriched e-invoicing APIs is better and standardized error messaging, comprehensive validations are done by Vayana before sending data to IRP portal.
Enriched API service
Enriched API service is the preferred e-invoicing service for its ease of use and convenience. Through enriched API, clients have to just enter the details of their invoice into their existing accounting system. This data is validated, encrypted, and transmitted to the IRP system by Vayana. The IRP system will generate digitally signed e-invoice and QR code and transmit this back to Vayana, who will in turn send this to the clients’ system to prepare the invoice for printing. Thus, the printed invoice already contains the IRN and embedded QR code. With secure, real-time transmission, clients have a hassle and delay free process for e-invoicing compliance.
For using the enriched API service of Vayana, the clients can do the following:
- Authenticate client credentials with GSTN
- Send data to GSTN portal through Vayana (as the GSP)
- Vayana will receive the response from GSTN and transmit the actual data to the client
The advantages of using Vayana enriched API services include:
- Data encryption and decryption are handled by Vayana
- Possible to process high volumes through data partitioning and merging features. There is no data limit per API
- Vayana will undertake comprehensive GST validations before transmitting data to IRP
- Custom data format with the option to merge data with multi-input, the file formats can include XML, JSON and others. The received data format can be customised as well
Change Management through enriched API service – As part of Vayana’s Enriched API services, we shall largely insulate you from change management effort arising from changing API formats and on an implied basis, changes to passthrough APIs.
The passthrough APIs entail significant development effort given the complexity of the data security protocols that have to be adhered to, the wide number of APIs that have to be integrated to, and the continuous resource commitment required considering the evolving APIs from GSTN (recently a major change to passthrough API specifications of E-Invoice was done a few days back, due to introduction of additional validations by NIC). The overall effort involved in integrating to Passthrough APIs shall hence be far more than the time and effort required for integrating to Enriched APIs.
Features of Vayana GSP solutions
Seamless ERP integration
Integrates with SAP and all other ERPs to directly generate compliant e-invoices. More than 75% of corporates using SAP have opted for Vayana as their preferred GSP
Best in class security across technology platforms & processes. Encrypted transmission, ISO 27001:2013 certified, PCI-DSS certified. We do not store taxpayer data.
Be notified at every step. Our system sends out automatic reminders to manage the workflow and ensure compliance is done on time
99.9% uptime with active monitoring. Zero downtime from past 2 years
A scalable cloud platform to manage all GST compliance. Our systems are ready to capture all your invoice information and prepare for filings on time
What you see is what you get. There are no hidden charges, no confusing bills. Objective and Competitive Pricing. Dashboard for performance tracking.
Multi location deployment. Load balancing. Auto-failover.
Why should you use Vayana GSP for your e-invoicing applications?
We are India’s largest GSTN Authorized GSP offering GST, E-Way Bill, & E-Invoicing Pass-through API services
100+ ASPs and Fintech companies powered
2,00,000 SMEs from partner ASPs
Autoscaling, Auto Failover architecture ensuring Zero unscheduled downtime
PCI DSS, ISO 27001:2013 certified
Present in 25 states, 350+ cities, 600 pin codes
International presence in China, Greece, Mexico, USA, UK, Spain, Singapore, Thailand